Thursday, April 3, 2008

Conjunctions...

Ok, I had a request to explain what conjunctions are so here we go...

CONJUNCTIONS are words that connect words, sentences or, clauses. Basically they are linking words.

There are three kinds of conjunctions:

1 - Coordinating conjunctions, or coordinators

2 - Subordinating conjunctions, or subordinators

3 - Correlative conjunctions

COORDINATORS

These are the most commonly used conjunctions and you can remember them using the word
FANBOYS.

For
And
Nor
But
Or
Yet
So

The top 3 conjunctions are: AND, BUT, OR.

I like ice cream AND chocolate. ^^

I wanted to go to the beach BUT it was raining. (so I didn't go)

Would you like coffee OR tea?

SUBORDINATORS

These introduce a dependent clause and show how it is related to the independent clause. Sounds complicated? It links two ideas and tells you HOW they are linked.

There are alot of these so, here are the most common:

after
Call me after you finish work.

although
Although she liked him, she never told him.

as
It looks as if, it will rain.

because
I don't like you anymore because you cheated on me!

before
I always read before going to bed.

how
I wonder how he did that?

if
If you look at the sun too long, you will go blind.

since

I have lived in Kyoto since 2006.


There are many more!!!

once, than, that, though, till, until, when, where, whether, while

CORRELATIVE CONJUNCTIONS

These are PAIRS of conjunctions that link two gramatically equal parts of a sentence.

The most common are:

both...and
Both my mother and father live in Montreal.

either...or
Please buy either 1% or 2% milk. (buy one of these two items)

neither...nor
Neither my uncle nor my grandmother live in Montreal.

not only...but also
Not only that, but he also paid for her new car!

as...as
I'm as hungry as a horse! (very hungry)
He's as blind as a bat. (has very bad eyesight)
Superman is as fast as a speeding bullet. (very fast)

whether...or
I am thinking whether I should go to Hokkaido or Okinawa.

Wow! This was long, hope it can help. If you still have questions please check out this site:

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/conjunctions.htm

No comments: