Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Excuse me, where's the nearest ATM?

Hi everyone, I thought I had already written a lesson on this topic but I guess not... and thanks to Minette for commenting, I wish more of my readers commented or asked me questions...

So, today I will be taking about all the different was to say ATM in English. ATM stands for Automated Teller Machine. A teller is short for bank teller and is the person you see when you want to make a deposit(put money into the bank) or a withdrawal(take money out of the bank).

I think that ATM is the most common word in North America and I remember when I first visited Europe I was surprised to see signs everywhere saying CD. Now, in Canada and the US CD stands for Compact Disk so at first I thought that there were alot of music stores in Europe!

Eventually, I figured out that CD also stands for Cash Dispenser. You might also hear the term cash machine in some countries, usually in Asia.

Since I am from North America, Cash Dispenser and Cash Machine sound REALLY strange to me. I will understand the word but it will sound unnatural.

So if you are travelling in Canada and the U.S. remember to ask:

"Excuse me, where's the nearest ATM?"

Phil

No comments: