Sunday, November 7, 2010

You did that on purpose~!!!

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't posted yet this month. I was up in Tokyo last week and I've been really busy studying for my test... which is in just 1 month~!! Unfortunately, this means that I won't be able to post so much this month. I will try and post 4-5 times, wish me luck!

Today, I was teaching a lesson and I said that it looks like they did it on purpose... but my student didn't understand. Do you?

On purpose

This means that you do something as a plan, it is NOT an accident. In Japanese, you would say: わざと (態と). A similar expression is to mean to do something.

A: Ouch! Watch where you're going!

B: Sorry.

A: You don't sound sorry... did you do that on purpose?
------------------
Mom, Tim broke my toy on purpose!
------------------
Sorry, I didn't mean to step on your foot. I didn't do it on purpose.

Now the opposite of on purpose is by accident.

Oops! I knocked over the plate by accident and it broke. I'm sorry...

I did it by accident... it wasn't planned... it wasn't intentional...

Hmm, is that clear enough? I hope so, have a nice weekend ^_^

Phil

No comments: