Saturday, December 22, 2012

I'm glad you like it!

Ok, Christmas is right around the corner (coming soon) and so it is a time to give and receive gifts~!

Often a gift- giving conversation might go like this:

Alice: Here, this is for you.

Betty: Oh, you shouldn't have!

(opens the gift)

Betty: Wow! The purse I wanted! It's great!

Alice: I'm glad you like it.

Betty: Thanks a lot.

I'm glad you like it is a set phrase people use when giving gifts.

Tom: Do you like it?

Bill: Of course!

Tom: Good, I'm glad (you like it can be dropped).

Be careful, when talking about EXPERIENCES or PERISHABLES (things you can use up) you must use the phrase in the PAST TENSE.

Tom: Did you enjoy the movie?

Bill: Yeah, it was great! Thanks for treating me.

Tom: I'm glad you liked it. I thought you would.

---------------------------------

Heather: Those cookies were fantastic! Did you make them yourself?

Helen: Yeah. I'm glad you liked them.

Have  a  Merry Christmas everyone!

Phil

P.S. glad you is pronounced gladju





No comments: