Tuesday, April 9, 2013

I can do it for sure!

Hey everyone for the first real lesson of the month I am looking at the difference between for sure and definitely.

The meaning of these two expressions is the same, they are adverbs used to predict the outcome of an action. They mean you think there is a 100% chance something will happen.

It will definitely rain tonight.

Tomorrow's gonna be sunny for sure.

Since you use them to predict something you generally use them with future verb tenses. Definitely can be used in all situations but comes BEFORE the verb/action you are talking about.

He can definitely eat 10 hot dogs in 10 minutes.

My company can definitely fulfill your order on time.   

For sure is much more casual and it comes AFTER the action you are talking about, most of the time it is added at the end of a sentence. It sounds like something kids and young people say, so it is used in casual English. It is usually used to talk about yourself as well.

I'm gonna be on time tomorrow for sure.

I'll win for sure!

But can be used to talk about other people, usually friends or in a casual situation.

Tom will show up for sure. He told me he's coming.

Betty will marry him for sure. He's handsome & rich. 

Any questions? I think you definitely understand!

Phil 

    

No comments: