Sunday, December 1, 2013

Take it with a grain of salt.

Have you heard this idiom before? It means that you should be skeptical of something, you should have doubts about it, or you shouldn't believe something completely. You can find some example's from the urban dictionary here and in Japanese here.

Take this with a grain of salt but I've heard Sega will launch a new game console in 2014.

This means, I'm not sure if this is true but...

Gerry: My teacher said I'm his favorite student!

Kal: I think you should take that with a grain of salt he told me that last week, too. 

This means that you shouldn't believe what he said completely.

I always take online product reviews with a grain of salt, many reviewers are getting paid by the manufacturers!

This means that I don't completely trust online product reviews.

Have a great week,

Phil

No comments: