Monday, June 2, 2008

I'm as hungry as a horse!

Today, I will teach you how to make your own idioms. There is a really popular structure that is often used to make idioms:

as (adjective) as (noun or noun phrase)

= very (adjective)

For example:

as hungry as a horse = very hungry

Some idioms we use because they sound nice and rhyme:

as drunk as a skunk = very drunk

as hungry as a horse = very hungry

Some idioms make sense:

as brave as a lion = very brave, courageous

as stubborn as a mule = very stubborn

as strong as an ox = very strong

Some make no sense and are just funny:

as happy as a clam = very happy

But basically you can always understand the meaning, when using this
"as * as *" structure it simply means "very (adjective)".
Now let's try to make our own:

He's as ugly as a rotten tomato. (very ugly)

She's as pretty as a pink butterfly. (very pretty)

That movie was as boring as doing taxes. (very boring)

Now you try!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Phil.
I'm Sungmi from Korea.
I found your blog during googling 'as hungry as a horse'.
I was great help for me. I was looking for my lesson material, I'm doing 'TESOL' course now in Australia.
I just want to say hello and thank you.:) I'll visit your blog sometimes. This is my email address. ks1004486@naver.com
Take care! bye

Phil said...

Hi Sungmi, manaso pangapsumnida! I hope your English studies are going well and that you still enjoy checking my blog from time to time.

Happy Holidays~!

Phil