Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The magic of me too!

"Me too" is a REALLY useful phrase! It is the perfect casual way to say that you can also do, own, want to do or did something.



CAN DO:



A: I can swim.



B: I can swim too. = I can too. = Me too.



DID SOMETHING:



A: I went to Canada.



B: I went to Canada too. = I did too. = Me too.



WANT TO DO SOMETHING:



A: I want to go to Fiji.



B: I want to go to Fiji too. = I do too. = Me too.



OWN SOMETHING:



A: I have an ipod.



B: I have an ipod too. = I have one too. = Me too.



So you can see the the most formal is the longest sentence, standard level of politeness is a bit shorter and really casual is the magical ME TOO!



Please remember this is ONLY use when you ALSO want to do, did, own or can do something. So a positive with a positive.



If it is a positive + with a negative - then you have:



A: I can swim. +



B: I can't swim = I can't. -



If it is a negative - with a positive +:



A: I don't have a car. -



B: I have a car. = I do. +



BUT if it is a negative - AND a negative - then you get:



A: I don't want to go to work. -



B: I don't want to go to work either. = I don't either. = Me neither. -



So for positive + and positive + in casual situations use ME TOO and for negative - and negative - situations use ME NEITHER!

No comments: