Wednesday, October 8, 2008

medical words, part 3

Hey people, today I will wrap up my 3 part series about medical words. I will start with two words I forgot to mention last time:

insomnia: This is when you CAN'T sleep. You stay awake all night in bed... almost every night.

fever: This is when your body temperature is higher than normal.

Now, let's go over some simple vocabulary to talk about times you hurt yourself a bit...

cut: This is when something sharp cuts through your skin and makes you bleed.

"Ouch! I cut myself."

"Damn, I got a paper cut." (When the edge of a piece of paper cuts your finger)

scrape: This is when you skin gets scratched and bleeds very little.

"Mom, I fell down and scraped my knee!"

burn: This is when heat hurts your skin...

"Be careful, the pot is hot."

"Ouch!!! I burned myself."

sprain: This is when you move your arms or legs(usually) and twist your muscles in the wrong direction. So you pull the ligaments that connect your muscle to the bone.

"I was jogging this morning and sprained my ankle."

bruise: This is when you get hit and your skin turns black and/or blue... like a black eye.

"Wow, look at the boxer! He's covered in bruises."

The importance of the word ache. This means you suffer a dull long lasting pain.
There are many compound words hat use ache.

headache: Probably the most common word using ache. It means your head hurts.

"Man, I am really stressed at work, it's giving me a headache."

earache: This is when your ear hurts continually. Usually because of an infection.

"I have to go, my son has an earache."

toothache: This is when your tooth or teeth hurt non-stop. Usually because of a cavity.

"You should go see a dentist for your toothache."

stomachache: For kids you might say a tummyache. Tummy is another word for stomach used when talking to children. This is when your stomach hurts, usually because of something you ate.

"Aww, owww, I ate to much ice-cream... I have a stomachache."

Well there you go, the medical series is done! What should I do next?

Have a nice week!

Phil

backache:



No comments: