Monday, December 15, 2008

Index finger, Middle finger...

Hey everyone, I will continue my series on finger idioms. Today, I will be covering the index finger and the middle finger.

the index finger

This is also called the pointing finger (though it is rude to point with this finger), the forefinger, the first finger and the trigger finger.

I couldn't really think of any idioms that go with this finger, the trigger finger is said because it is the one you use to pull the trigger to shoot a gun.

So you might here: "I have an itchy trigger finger" which means that you will easily shoot your gun.

People might also say "pull my finger" and put out the index finger, when you pull it they fart! It's a kid's joke ^_-

I often get hangnails on my index fingers... this means that a small piece of nail sticks out the side of the fingernail. Then you pull it out and it is a bit painful.
Not too fun -_-

the middle finger

This is the finger you use when you tell people to F#*K You! So there are a few idioms about this:

to give someone the finger

This guy cut me off on the road so I gave him the finger.

to flip the bird

My teacher was mean to me so when she turned around I flipped her the bird.

Hmm, that is about it. There are not many idioms about these fingers... Our next lesson is about the ring finger... and then the last lesson will be about the pinky!

Phil

No comments: