Friday, January 23, 2009

Gimme! Gimme! Gimme~!

Today, we will have a quick little pronunciation lesson. This is a type of Sentence Level Fluency (SLF) which happens when saying many words together, their pronunciation changes to make them easier to say quickly. For example:

an apple

an orange

The N from an is linked to the following vowel so you get:

aN napple

aN norange

I am going to cover two imperative phrases people often use:

Let me --------> Lemme

Give me --------> Gimme

You will hear these in many movies, TV shows or just in normal everyday conversation.

Lemme:

Lemme go~! (I am a prisoner or hostage in a movie)

Lemme know when you finish your homework.

Gimme:

A: Mom! Gimme a cookie!

B: What's the magic word?

A: Mom, gimme a cookie PLEASE.

B: OK, here you go.

Gimme a minute, I'll be right back. (Please wait a minute)

So an example of SLF would be:

Gimme aN napple please ^_-

Have a nice Saturday,'

Phil

No comments: