Tuesday, January 13, 2009

quarter

Ok, in my research I have not found any idioms dealing with a quarter coin(25 cents, common in the US and Canada) and I can't remember any either.

All I can remember are some common phrases such as:

Can you lend me a quarter?

This was a common question before cellphones when I was growing up as a payphone used to cost a quarter for a local call.

There is a game called quarters which is a drinking game where you bounce the quarter from the table into your opponents cup. If you get it in his/her cup they have to drink!

The idioms that use quarter DO NOT refer to the coin!

For example:

quarters: this is talking about living quarters, or the place where you live. It is mostly used in the military so you often hear it in dramas, like on a spaceship, your room might be called your quarters.

No quarter: here quarter means mercy and so no quarter=no mercy so attack with all your strength and destroy your enemy.

Hmm, that is all I can think of and it finishes our series on coin idioms! yay!!!

Time to get ready for work,

Phil


No comments: