Thursday, February 5, 2009

Jamaican English... Part 1

Hey everyone, I was at my local library today and saw a small book about Jamaican English~! I was really surprised so I took a look and saw many many words I didn't know. Jamaican English is a pretty different dialect of English with lots of original words. They call this dialect Jamaican Patois. If you are interested in Reggae then it is important to know this kind of English to understand the lyrics.

I decided to do a 3 part series based on this book. I hope you guys will find these lessons fun and interesting~~!

So in the first lesson I will talk about some examples of Jamaican pronunciation but not touch on new words. For that you will have to wait till the next lesson ^_-

All of them. -----> Aala dem.

I think so. -----> A tink su.

other -----> aada

hand -----> an

that -----> dat

have -----> ha

girl -----> gyal

go on (continue) -----> gwaan


culture -----> kulcha

lost -----> laas

So you can see that Jamaican Patois is phonetic like the Japanese language so it is pretty easy to pronounce. Basically, the standard English pronunciation is exaggerated and elongated. Girl being pronounced as gyal even matches Japanese Katakana English~!

Stay tuned for the next lesson,

Phil

No comments: