Saturday, February 14, 2009

Jamaican English Part 2

Today, we will look at some words that are unique to Jamaican English.

arbor shark = greedy

attaclapse = disaster

Watta attaclapse Hurrican Gilbert cause!

What a disaster Hurricane Gilbert caused!

jim screechy = sneak

Jim screechy inna di 'ouse.

Sneak into the house.

battyman = homosexual = gayan

He a battyman.

He's gay.

cool runnings = No fuss/hassles

donna = cute girl

dundus = albino

gwine = gonna = going to

Me gwine eat now.

I'm gonna eat now.

jook = pierce/stick

Im jook me wid di pin.

He stuck me with a pin.

mek = let's

Mek we deet.

Let's do it.

mout = tease

Me a mout im.

I am teasing him.

poppy show = silly person

seh-seh = gossip

She like seh-seh.

She likes to gossip.

unnu = everyone

Unnu ready?

Everyone ready?

yush! = greetings!

Ok, that's it for now. Not much to explain here but I find the way things have changed in Jamaican English pretty interesting. I hope you liked it as much as I did~!

No comments: