Monday, May 11, 2009

Even if...

Wow, today is my hundredth post~! Amazing! I hope you are enjoying my blog and I would love to hear from you any questions or comments you might have. I really love hearing from my readers ^_^

So last Sunday, I was teaching a private lesson and my student asked me:

"What does even if mean?"

Well, I did my best to explain but I am not quite sure I was clear so I am going to try and explain in more detail on my blog. Wish me luck!

Even if is an adverb which according to thefreedictionary.com means:

"Used preceding a hypothesis to emphasize that whether or not the condition is fulfilled, the statement remains valid. ex: The remark didn't call for an answer, even if he could have thought of one."

What does that mean? It means that if A happens or not, B will still be true! It is used for EMPHASIS to strengthen a sentence.

Even if you win a million dollars, I still won't marry you!

meaning

I will never marry you, even if you are rich.

So basically, if you are rich or not my answer is still no.

I like hiking even if I feel tired the next day.

meaning

Hiking makes me feel tired the next day BUT I still like it.

Ok I think that is pretty clear...

I will continue writing this blog even if no one reads it~!

Phil

No comments: