Saturday, May 16, 2009

Was it worth it?

Today, I am going to talk about VALUE. Today we will look at: rip off(used as a verb or noun), worth it(noun only), and a good deal.

When I go shopping I want to pay a reasonable price for something of ok quality. If that happens then it is worth it. But if I pay a lot of money for something and it is bad quality then it is a rip off-I feel like they have tricked me and stolen my money. I didn't get what I paid for...

If I feel like I paid a good price for something and got great value then, I got a good deal. Here are some example dialogues:

A: So, how was the concert yesterday? Was it worth it?
B: Yeah, it was totally worth it~! It was amazing!

So maybe, the concert was kind of expensive so B decided not to go but A went. Now, B wants to check if the high price was matched with a high value performance.

A: Wow, nice jacket~!
B: Thanks, I got a good deal on it. It was on sale. ^_^

B paid a good price for a great jacket, high value for a low cost.

A: Hey, buddy watch where you're going!
B: You got a problem, jerk?!?!
C: Dude, it's not worth it let it go.
B: Yeah, you're right let's get out of here.

In this situation, A & C are walking together down the street and B bumps into A. B is angry and maybe wants to fight A but C tells him "It's not worth it" meaning the fight will cause a big problem and won't give him anything of value...

A: How was the movie festival?
B: What a rip off! Tickets were 5000 yen and it was super crowded and noisy!
A: Really? Man that sucks.
B: Yeah, you shouldn't go- it's not worth it at all.

So he paid a lot of money but only got something of very low value so it's a rip off.

A: What's wrong?
B: That guy ripped me off~! He sold me a ticket to yesterday's concert!

B paid a lot of money for a concert that is already finished, he was ripped off.

Alright, I hope that helps everyone talk about restaurants, tourist attractions, movies, shows etc. If you want to know if something is good even though it is expensive just ask:

Is it worth it?

Have a nice weekend,

Phil


No comments: