Thursday, October 8, 2009

I'm just giving you a heads up...

Hey everyone, today I am doing another short lesson. Recently I've been a bit busy traveling and also showing people around Kyoto so I haven't had as much free time as I usually do. Anyways, today we will be looking at a useful idiom/expression:

Heads up

Now the first meaning of this is literally "Heads up" meaning lift your head up or look up~!

This is used when you want someone to look up for example if you throw something at someone and they are not looking...

A: Heads up!
B: What? Whoa! (catches a basketball) What are you doing?
A: Nice catch! Wanna play some b-ball?

The second meaning is to give someone advance warning about something. This means that something is going to happen, usually surprising or bad, and you don't want to help them get ready for the news.

A: Hey man, just giving you a heads up, they announced a new round of lay-offs.
B: Ouch! Thanks for the heads up, I'll watch my back.

or

A: If you hear anything about my transfer be sure to give me a heads up.
B: Sure, no problem.

So if you hear about any bad news be sure to give your friends a heads up!


Phil

No comments: