Thursday, October 1, 2009

I'm between a rock and a hard place...

Hey everyone, sorry about only posting 6 times last month but the Japanese silver week holidays took me to Tokyo where I had a nice time. So today I will be doing a short lesson about a common idiom I taught last week. 


between a rock and a hard place


I have seen this in many English textbooks in Japan and it is a pretty common English idiom. It means that you are in a difficult situation or an impossible situation...


A: What's up?


B: I promised my friend I would go out with him for his birthday but now my girlfriend wants me to go to her friend's birthday on the same day~!


A: Ouch, it sounds like you're between a rock and a hard place.


B: I know, it sucks.


----------------------------


These days I'm between a rock and a hard place at work, my boss is really mean but I need the money so I can't quit...


So when you are in a situation when you don't know what to do, all your 
choices seem bad you can say:


"I'm between a rock and a hard place."

No comments: