Monday, May 24, 2010

Be with you in a jiffy!

The other day there was an article on thefreedictionary.com about the term jiffy and it seemed interesting so I thought I would share it with you~! You can check it out here:

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Jiffy+(time)

Basically, jiffy means a short period of time. Usually, a jiffy is the time it takes you to finish what you are doing.

A customer enters a shop and doesn't see anyone:

A: Hello anyone there?

B: Yeah, be with you in a jiffy~!

This situation is pretty casual and "I'll be with you in a jiffy" has been shortened by dropping the I'll.

Apparently, jiffy means lightning in old English thief's slang~! This term has been used as far back as the 1700s, so it is pretty old English but it's still common ^_-

The term also has many variations that are used in physics, computing, electronics and according to the makers of the Pot Noodle(instant ramen Cup Noodle) a jiffy is 1/100 of a second~!

So the next time someone asks you:

"When will you be finished?"

Be sure to answer:

"I'll be done in a jiffy~!"

Have a good night, I hope you enjoyed this mini-lesson,

Phil

No comments: