Sunday, May 16, 2010

We're behind schedule so it's time to...

Hey everyone, today I'm gonna present two idioms that are most often used in a business context. They are a bit old fashioned but you still hear them sometimes. Plus students when talking about studying might used these idioms too.

We're behind schedule we're going to have to:

1- put our noses to the grindstone

A grindstone is a stone used for sharpening knives. When you used it you had to lean in and push the knife onto the grindstone so your nose was very close to it~. This came to mean to work hard.

I have to put my nose to the grindstone if I wanna pass the exam!

2- to burn the midnight oil

A long time ago, people had to burn oil to light lamps at night. So if you needed to work late you had to burn extra oil. If you are burning oil at midnight you are working really late! So this expression came to mean work very late or work all night.

Don't use this if you just wanna say you are going to work overtime! This idiom is stronger than that, it implies you are working till midnight or later.

To finish my project on time I had to burn the midnight oil for a week! It sucked!

Hmmm, I guess that is it for now, I hope you all had a nice weekend,

Phil

No comments: