Sunday, January 23, 2011

Don't choke~!

The other day I was with my girlfriend watching a TV show and a character said:

"I don't wanna choke"

She asked me "What does choke mean?" So today I will teach you all about a few of the meanings of the verb:

Choke

The main meaning is that you can't breathe well, even to the point of death. But from this meaning you get many variations:

He choked Bill to death.
(squeezed his neck)

My collar is too tight, it's choking me a bit...
(too tight so you can't breathe)

What's with all the smoke? Open the window before we all choke!
(can't breathe)

As Elvis said: "I'm all choked up."
(full of emotion so that you can't speak.)

The meaning from the TV show was to fail to perform adequately due to tension or agitation(from http://www.thefreedictionary.com/choke). In other words, you are trying to win or do something but you just can't because of a mental block.

I'm gonna talk to her today. I swear I won't choke.

I can't believe he choked on the penalty kick!

Don't choke! You can do it!

So do you all understand the verb choke? Next time you see a foreigner or go abroad and try to speak English, relax take it easy and just enjoy it. That way you won't choke ^_^

Have a good week,

Phil

No comments: