Sunday, May 15, 2011

Do you know Brad Pitt???

Umm, no I've never met him but he seems like a nice guy...

Hey everyone, today we are looking at a common mistake Japanese English speakers make. They translate directly from Japanese ブラドピットしっていますか?

BUT in English "Do you know...?" means do you know him PERSONALLY, have you MET HIM in real life?

Jim: Do you know Tom, Bob?

Bob: No, I don't. Nice to meet you Tom.

Tom: Nice to meet you too Bob.

-------------------

John: Do you know Sara?

Ed: No, I never met her.

John: She's great I think you'd really like her.

Generally speaking, when talking about famous people, places or events we use the expression:

Have you heard of...?

It's a really useful expression to check if someone knows about something/have they heard of it.

A: Have you heard of the movie Oldboy?

B: Nope, is it any good?

A: Yeah, it's a bit violent but it's a great Korean movie!

---------

C: Have you heard of Johnny Depp?

D: Of course! I've seen all his movies, he's a great actor.

---------

E: Have you heard of the Kyoto Craft Beer Festival?

F: No, what is it?

E: It's a new festival where you can try many Japanese microbrews.

F: Wow, sounds great. Let's check it out!

Ok, that's it for now. If you have any questions please post a comment! I am a bit busy these days so I think I will only be able to post 5-6 lessons this month, sorry guys...

Have a good week,

Phil

No comments: