Thursday, December 1, 2011

Go to home??? huh?

Hey everyone, a few years ago I posted on the difference between go and go to. You can find that link here. Today, I am going to talk about a when you should use:

go to + place

and

go + place

Usually, we use go to + SPECIFIC place, for example:

I want to go to Tokyo.

He went to Isetan.

Her parents are going to Mongolia next week.

Tom went to the post office.

I have to go to the bank today.

SOMETIMES, we just use go + place. We use this structure when the place ISN'T specific.

A: Have you been to Disney Sea?

B: Yeah, I went there 3 years ago.

--------------

Harry: Ted's never gone abroad.

Alice: What? Really? He seems so cosmopolitan.

Harry: Yeah, he's well-read. He's gonna go abroad this winter.

Alice: Good for him!

--------------

Mom: Kids, go outside and play.

later

Neighbour: What's that racket? Oh, it's just some kids playing outside.

--------------

Wow, it's late. Time to go home.

So when the place isn't specific like with there, outside, abroad, or home we DON'T use go to!

I am aiming for about 6 lessons this month. Have a nice week!

Phil

No comments: