Saturday, November 26, 2011

Check it out!

Hi guys, you may have read my previous post about phrasal verbs using check:


But, I've recently realized I left out a few of the meanings for CHECK OUT:

1- to look at something

Bob: Hey Tom! Check out that Lamborghini!

Tom: Man that's a nice car...

2- to try something

Bob: Yeah, I'd love to check out how fast how it drives.

Tom: speaking of checking something out. Why don't we check out that new cafe?

3- to finish a stay at a hotel and leave

Bob: Good idea, let's check out of the hotel first and drop off our bags at the station.

Tom: Sure, that sounds fine.

4- the cashier at a shop/convenience store/supermarket

talking at the cafe...

Bob: Don't you hate it when the check out line is so long?

Tom: Yeah, I don't know why Japanese supermarkets don't have express check out lanes... ...but why are you bringing that up now???

Bob: I was at the supermarket today and had to wait like 30 minutes to buy just 2 things!!!


Tom: Man, that sucks...|


5- to borrow a book from the library

later at at the library

Bob: I'd like to check out this book.

Librarian: Certainly, please return it in two weeks to avoid paying late fees.

Bob: No problem.

OK that's all for this month I think. Have a great weekend!

Phil

No comments: