Monday, May 28, 2012

Cut to the chase.

Hey guys, have you heard that expression before? A chase is when someone runs away and someone else runs after them. You will often see chase scenes in action movies. Here's one from the Blues Brothers:




So, when someone says cut to the chase they mean get to the point. Stop dancing around the topic and tell me directly! Other expressions with similar meanings are: tell it to me straight and stop beating around the bush.


Ann: Well, umm, you know things have been tough...

Bob: Yeah?

Ann: And we've fought alot and, umm...

Bob: Ann, tell it to me straight! Stop beating around the bush, just say what you have to say!

Ann: I'm breaking up with you!


-----------


Employee: Sir, I have something I'd like to ask you if you have a moment. You see, I've been working really hard lately and putting in a lot of overtime and...

Boss: Get to the point, I don't have all day.

Employee: Yes Sir, I'd like a raise.

Boss: Times are tough but you've been doing good work how does 5% sound?

Employee: Thank you very much Sir!


------------


You should cut to the chase when asking for something.


Any questions? Have a nice day,


Phil

No comments: