Wednesday, July 18, 2012

He got shot~!!!

Hey everyone, today I want to talk about the use of "a". It can really change the meaning of a sentence!


Let's go out for a drink. 


That means to go out for 1 or 2 drinks, you'll only be out for a short time.


Let's go out for drinks.


This means to go out for more than 2 drinks,  you'll be out for a long time.


I ate a watermelon.


This means you ate a WHOLE watermelon.


I ate watermelon.


This means you ate SOME watermelon.


Now let's look at the example in the title.


Tom got shot.


This means that Tom got shot by a gun~!!! A rare event and very scary.


Tom got a shot.


This can mean two different things depending on the context.


1- He got an injection(注射). For example: Tom got a flu shot. He got a flu vaccination.


2- He had a CHANCE


Give me a shot coach! I know I can beat him!

He has a shot at the World Heavyweight Title.


I got a shot at happiness but I blew it.


Are you crazy??? You don't have a shot with her, she's WAY too hot.


I blew my shot. (I messed up my chance)


So you can have, give, get or blow a shot. Any questions?


Phil

No comments: