Friday, November 2, 2012

What's a keel?

A keel is the spine of a ship, it is the middle part of the bottom frame. You can see a picture here:

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4037

You can learn more on wikipedia in English here or in Japanese here.

Anyways, keel is used in a few popular idioms and phrases.

The most common is to keel over. This is like when a boat capsizes and flips over so the keel is on top. It means to collapse suddenly, usually it is used when someone faints or drops dead unexpectedly.

I was eating lunch with my boss when he suddenly keeled over grabbing his chest. He had a heartattack!

When my Mom saw my scary costume she keeled over in a faint!

My friend has diabetes and her blood sugar was low so she fainted and keeled over. I gave her some sweets and she woke up.

The other expression is on an even keel or keep something/someone on an even keel. It means things are going smoothly, calmly and without trouble. It comes from when a ship is sailing on calm waters the keel is flat and even.

My married life's been on an even keel lately, it's great!

We need to keep our company on an even keel in this tough economy.

After keeling over from overwork last week, I decided to take things a bit more slowly to keep myself on an even keel.

Have a nice sunny Saturday~!

Phil 

  

 

No comments: