Sunday, October 6, 2013

We go way back...

This weekend one of my ex-students & good friends came into town for a visit so I thought I'd introduce a few expressions you can use in casual English to say that you've known someone for a long time.

We go way back.

You often use this when introducing an old friend or someone you've known for a very long time.

Alice: Kay,I had no idea you knew Jerry.

Kay: Yeah, we go way back but I haven't seen him in years. We kind of lost touch.

To lose touch with someone is when you lose contact with them & don't know what they are doing anymore...

Another way of saying the same thing:

We go back a long way.

Fred: How long have you been friends with Jack.

Jim: Jack? Oh, we go back a long way... maybe 15-20 years.

Fred: Wow, that's a long time!

Have a great week,

Phil


No comments: