Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Oh! You startled me!

As it is Halloween I decided to look at an expression that is commonly used when describing what happens when watching a horror movie. Today we'll look at the verbs: to startle (someone) or to be startled.

These verbs are talking about when someone is suddenly surprised and they jump & say Oh! or aargh!

To startle (someone)

In Japanese, this would be ケツ毛を抜く. 

(turns on the light)
Aargh! You startled me! What are you doing sitting in the dark?

When the murderer suddenly showed up in the third scene, it really startled me! I jumped in my theater seat!

To be startled

In Japanese, it would be ギョッとする.

When she smiled and I saw her crooked yellow teeth I was really startled!

When the alarm suddenly went off, everyone in the office was startled.

Here are some examples:




Happy Halloween~!

Phil

No comments: