Thursday, July 9, 2015

He's not a team player

Wow, it's been a long time since I posted a new English Tip. Sorry about that, I'll try to post more regularly.

Today I'll look at 3 idioms:

To Be a Team Player

This means that you support your team and help them, you do your fair share of the work and work well as part of the group.

Bill's a real team player, he's always helping out people in the office.

If you're a team player, you'll do great as part of our company.

A glory hog

This is someone who selfishly wants to keep all the glory to themselves. 

I think LeBron James is a glory hog he always acts like he was the only person responsible for his team winning.

When I was in college, I was a glory hog who always had to be in the spotlight.

A show off

This is someone who likes to display his/her things or his/her skills to demonstrate that they are better than others. It can also be used as a phrasal verb.

Stop being such a show off, I know you're great at skateboarding but if you're not careful you'll hurt yourself.

Terry's always showing off his new Rolex these days.

Any questions? Here's a little dialogue using all three:


Al: Why'd David get fired?

Tom: He wasn't a team player. He was a glory hog always trying to steal the credit for other people's work

Al: Really? What a jerk! I knew he was a show off who liked to brag about all his expensive things but I didn't realize he was that bad.




No comments: