Monday, May 12, 2008

Countable? Uncountable?

Hey everyone, today I will talk a bit about countable and uncountable nouns. Usually, countable nouns are things you can physically count easily. For example; cars, apples, bananas, pens, books,etc.

Uncountable nouns are usually abstract concepts(love, art, photography) or things you can't easily count. For example; liquids(beer, coffee, wine), sand, grass, etc.

When you are speaking in GENERAL, you MUST add S to COUNTABLE nouns.

I like pineapples.

I like girls.

Uncountable nouns DO NOT need S.

I like reading.

I like beer.

Be careful!!! If you add an S to an uncountable noun you will change the meaning~!

Some teachers might say you are saying something grammatically incorrect, this is not true. The grammar is fine but the meaning has changed...

Example 1:

There are many people in the room=There are many humans in the room.

There are many peoples in the room=There are different ethnic groups in the room.

So, people means more than one person BUT peoples means more than one ethnic group. This is why the second sentence sounds strange, we would normally say "There are many peoples in Asia" not in a room! hahaha

Ethnic group=Ainu, Indian, French, Tutsi, Inuit, etc.

Example 2:

I like chickens=I like the animal.

I like chicken=I like the meat.

Animals are countable BUT meat is uncountable. So BE CAREFUL!

If you say, I like dog, it means you like to eat dog meat!!!

No comments: