Thursday, May 29, 2008

Silly Rabbit, Play is for kids!!!

Recently, I was reminded that in Japanese あそぶ is used ALOT but in English play is children's English.

Play is usually used by small children when talking about meeting friends and having fun. When you become a teenager you do not want to sound like a kid, sound childish, so you gradually stop using play. Instead, you start to use hang out.

Example:

I hung out with my friends yesterday.

Hey Phil, wanna hang out tomorrow?

Hang out simply means you meet your friends to have fun and do nothing special, you have no fixed plans.

Play is used by kids(under 12 years old) and should not be used by adults. If an adult says, "I played with my friend yesterday" it sounds sexual. So for adults, play can often mean sex. So be careful!!!

Adults use play for sports and games. For example:

I played basketball last weekend.

Do you wanna play Grand Theft Auto?

How often do you play poker?

Do you ever play Monopoly?

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Phil

No comments: