Thursday, May 8, 2008

You ate bread for breakfast?!?!?!????

Hey everyone here is another short and quick lesson. Many of my students have told me they ate bread for breakfast and I was always surprised because plain bread is a little bland(薄味,うすあじ). After asking them to describe their breakfast I always found out they had used the wrong word! In English, bread is not toasted. You take bread, put it into the toaster, PING! Toast come out of the toaster ^^


So here are a few bread vocabulary words!


bread: パン

ex: What kind of bread do you like? I like baguettes!



bake: To cook something using dry heat, usually in an oven.

ex: My sister likes to bake cookies. ^^



bakery: A store selling baked goods, in japanese: パン屋


ex: What is that delicious smell coming from the bakery?


bun: A small bread roll, often sweetened or spiced and sometimes containing dried fruit.


ex: Do you like sticky buns?



roll: A small rounded amount of bread.


ex: These bread rolls are really good!



loaf: A big amount of bread, usually shaped like a rectangle. You cut slices off it.


ex: a loaf of bread, two loaves of bread.


croissant: a crescent shaped roll of bread


ex:



baguette: This is the famous french bread which is long and thin.


ex: I love fresh baguettes.


toast: To heat and brown bread, by putting it in a toaster or an oven.

ex: I eat toast(s) for breakfast!

Wow, I am hungry now. Time to eat!

No comments: