Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Adverbs of Frequency

Here is a quick breakdown of the how strong different adverbs of frequency.

100% always

I always watch new TV shows in the fall.

95% almost always

I almost always wake up at around 8:30.

80% usually

I usually have eggs for breakfast.

70 % frequently (FORMAL)

I go abroad on business frequently.

60% often

I often study Japanese in the morning.

30-50% sometimes

I sometimes eat muslix(cereal) for breakfast.

30-40% occasionally (FORMAL)

I occasionally go out for drinks with Senator Philip.

10% rarely

I rarely have free time at work.

5% seldom (FORMAL and old fashioned)

I seldom drink alcohol.

3% hardly ever (FORMAL and old fashioned)

I hardly ever wake up late.

1-5% almost never

I almost never drink champagne.

0% never

I never eat natto.

USAGE:

There are some rules about using adverbs of frequency, usually:

1- They go AFTER the verb to be(is, am, are, etc.).

2- They go BEFORE other verbs.
Occasionally, sometimes, often, frequently and usually
can also go at the beginning or end of a sentence:

Sometimes they come and stay
with us.

I play tennis occasionally.

Rarely and seldom can also go at the end of a sentence (often with "very"):
We see them rarely.

No comments: