Saturday, July 12, 2008

The many ways to say yes and no...

Hey everyone, I just got back from Kusatsu where we had a party at work. It was nice to see so many students I hadn't seen in awhile. I guess our schedules had changed so it became harder for us to have lessons together. I was also happy to get so much positive feedback about my blog so I decided to do a quick post I had been thinking about for a few days.

Just like in Japanese, there are many ways to say yes and no. I think everyone knows that Yeah is another way to say yes but today we will look at a few more. The following table is from most formal(Yes) to most casual (uh huh).



So Yes and No are standard like はい or いいえ. And yeah is like はいはい or うん. But I think   うん is more like uh huh. Yup and Nope are kind of countryside English and not so common these days.

Have a nice night, time for bed!

No comments: