Friday, September 5, 2008

I'm sorry, I'm a little rusty...

Today, I will go over a useful idiom. Rust is what happens when iron oxidizes due humidity(water). Basically, if you leave your metal tools outside they will start to turn a reddish-orange color. That is rust. In Japanese, you say:

錆(P); 錆び 【さび】 (n) rust; (P) この車は錆に強い。 This car is resistant to rust.

Rusty is an adjective which means something is covered in rust. It is also used to talk about a person's skills or abilities.

If I say: "I'm sorry, I'm a little rusty..." it means that I haven't used my skills in a long time so they aren't as good as they used to be. It simply means; I am out of practice.

Thanks to the JDIC, the best online Japanese-English dictionary for the translation of rust.

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1C

No comments: