Monday, September 15, 2008

It's cleaning time~!!!

Hey everyone, how are you? This in Japan are cool but there seem to be some typhoons or something coming to Japan this week which is kind of annoying when the forecast says it will rain 10cm in a day... ...especially, when it barely rains~!!! hahaha

Anyways, due to the forecast I decided to skip going to the beach and instead went to Osaka. I picked up a Nintendo Wii and managed to set it up even though it was all in Japanese. Good practice for me, I guess. ^-^

I had picked up Red Steel from Book Off last Saturday for 10 bucks and it was cool trying it out. It was made by Ubisoft who have a HUGE office in Montreal so it is nice to support my hometown. The game is a first person shooter(with Japanese subtitles) which also involves some sword-fighting too! It is cool playing with the wii controllers, much more exercise than a regular game console. I look forward to playing it some more and picking up the wii fit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, it's time to talk about learning some English ^_- today, I am going to go over some useful vocabulary and phrasal verbs that have to do with cleaning.

messy

This is an adjective meaning disorderly, untidy, etc. To me, it is not really dirty, more it is clean but things are all over the place, nothing is put away...

Look at this mess! How did you make our hotel room so messy? We've only been here 2 hours!?!?!

dirty

This adjectives means the opposite of clean, there is dirt present... so to me, it is stronger than messy.

Billy was playing in the park, he got his clothes really dirty!

clean up

This phrasal verb is telling you, make something or somewhere clean. You put things away and also get rid of any dirt.

Sorry guys, I can't go out tonight I have to clean up my room.

tidy up

This phrasal verb goes with messy; "you have to tidy up your messy room". It means, to put away things, to organize them. It does not really mean getting out the mop and cleaning in a serious way... it is a more casual kind of cleaning.

Oh! My girlfriend just called, she's coming over. Hurry, help me tidy up!

straighten up

This phrasal verb is very similar to tidy up, the main difference is that it is more formal and a bit of a higher level expression.

Smith, straighten up your office! Our clients will be here any minute!!!


Alright, that's all for now. I will try to think of some medical English for mikan-chan...

See you,

Phil

No comments: