Sunday, August 29, 2010

Do you have a hangover?

Hey everyone, just a last quick lesson for the month of August. Actually, I thought I had covered this before but looking back through my old blog posts it looks like I never did~!

Anyways, the first word we are looking at today is:

hangover

Which in Japanese is, 二日酔い (ふつかよい). It is when you drink too much and the next day you wake up with a headache, stomachache and feel really dehydrated (your body doesn't have enough water). Basically, you feel terrible!

I got so wasted yesterday~! So, I have a horrible hangover today.

I hate getting hangovers, it sucks...

For more one hangovers check it out on wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangover

The word hangover is a noun BUT there is also the adjective HUNGOVER:

I was really hungover this morning.

He looks hungover.

Watch out!

Hangover is a noun which is used with get or have:

I got/have a hangover.

Hungover is an adjective used with the to be:

I'm hungover.

Hair of the dog

This idiom means that when you are hungover you decide to start drinking again to cure your hangover. It is a short form of the idiom "the hair of the dog that bit you" which is an old cure for rabies where you would put some hair from the dog that bit you under your tongue~! Wow, I had no idea about that.

It has been a common English idiom since Shakespeare's time to talk about starting to drink again to cure a hangover. To read more about it check out this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_of_the_dog

In Japanese, you would say: 迎え酒 (むかえざけ).

After a hard night drinking, the only thing that cures my hangover is hair of the dog.

Hmm, all this talk about beer is making me thirsty~! Time to grab a beer, see you next month,

Phil

No comments: