Sunday, August 1, 2010

You have a terrible poker face.

Do you know this idiom? Today, we'll just have a quick idioms lesson. Enjoy!

A poker face is when someone's face doesn't show ANY emotion. It is used when someone lies to trick someone. In poker this is called BLUFFING. It is when you lie to trick people into thinking you have good cards and they decide to quit playing--which means you win~!

Jim has a terrible poker face, I always know when he's lying.

So the verb to bluff means to deceive someone, to trick them by using false confidence. You aren't good but you PRETEND to be good to get your opponent to quit.

A: If you don't stop, I'm gonna tell Mom!
B: You're bluffing! If you tell Mom you'll get in trouble too.
A: Try me! I swear I'm gonna tell Mom.
B: OK, OK, I'll stop.

Alright, that is it for now. I'll try to post one more lesson before I go on vacation, have a good weekend!

Phil

No comments: