Thursday, October 14, 2010

Many, much and a lot of

OK so here's my last lesson on this topic. Last time we looked at using many/much in questions, today we will look at using them in sentences.

MANY

It is usually used in NEGATIVE sentences (-)

It is used with COUNTABLE NOUNS.

I don't have many friends.

They don't have many rooms in this hotel.

You don't like to read do you? You don't seem to have many books on your shelves...

It is sometimes used in positive sentences (+) BUT it sounds formal and old fashioned, so while it is good grammar it isn't natural sounding English.

My son is very intelligent, he has received many job offers. (formal)

I am delighted that all my many friends could join me for my birthday party. (formal/old fashioned)

He has many girlfriends. (good grammar, BUT it sounds odd)

MUCH

It is used in NEGATIVE SENTENCES (-).

It is used with UNCOUNTABLE NOUNS.

I don't have much money... because payday is next week.

Can you hurry up? I don't have much time.

I don't have much use for a car. I live downtown.

Now if you want to make a POSITIVE SENTENCE you should use A LOT OF!


A LOT OF

It is used in POSITIVE SENTENCES (+) OR NEGATIVE SENTENCES.

It is used by COUNTABLE AND UNCOUNTABLE NOUNS.

It sounds casual and natural.

I have a lot of friends.

I have a lot of money.

This hotel is HUGE, it has a lot of rooms.

He has a lot of girlfriends.(sounds much more natural)

I don't have a lot of time today, I'm really busy.

She doesn't have a lot of clothes.

In casual English, a lot of is pronounced ALODDA.


So if you aren't sure what to use, please use a lot of - it's the most flexible!!


Have a good week~!


Phil


No comments: