Saturday, February 12, 2011

It's a family heirloom.

Hey everyone, do you know what heirloom means?

In Japanese you'd say, 家宝 (かほう). So like the kanji say it is a family treasure that is passed down from parents to their children as is often kept in the family as long as possible. It could be a watch, a painting, a bracelet, furniture, a book, etc.

Now when you have an heirloom you would often say:

Oh that painting? It's a family heirloom, we've had it for ages.

or

A: Where'd you get that watch? It's really nice.

B: Oh this? I have no idea, it's been in my family for ages. I guess it's kind of like a family heirloom.

For ages means for a really long time. An age is like; an Ice Age, the Stone Age, the Computer age, etc. In Japanese, I guess it is like 時代 (じだい). So for ages means for many ages! I guess it has passed from your great-grandparents(or before) down to you.

I've had this car for ages, I thinks it's time I get a new one.

Now if you want to use a weaker expression you can say for years. This also means for a long time but LESS than for ages.

A: Hey nice tie!

B: Oh this old thing? I've had it for years.

or

We've been coming to this restaurant for years and you STILL don't know our names??

Alright that's it for today, have a nice weekend!

Phil

No comments: