Monday, February 14, 2011

It's time to stock up...

...Happy Valentine's Everyone!

So at this time of year chocolate is on sale and it is a good chance to stock up.

The word stock means inventory, 在庫 (ざいこ). So when something is sold-out it is, out of stock = 売り切れ (うりきれ). Around Valentine's is a good time to stock up on chocolate.

Stock up means that you build up a lot of inventory-you buy many so that you can use them in the future. So whenever I see snacks on sale at a good price I often stock up so that I can enjoy them later ^_^

Ok that is all for today but here is a link to a website where you can study more Valentine's English:

http://cambridgeenglishonline.com/valentines_english/

It's called the Valentine's English Zone, enjoy!

Phil

4 comments:

Unknown said...

nice post

amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I am an ESL learner and I love reading your posts. I find the word "stock up" sometimes is followed by "with" and sometimes is by "on". My question is what is the difference between "stock up on" and "stock up with"? Thanks

Phil said...

Well I personally never say "stock up with" I think it is more common in British English than North American English which uses "stock up on".

According to thefreedictionary.com the difference in meaning is:

stock up WITH-to build up a supply of something

stock up ON-to buy a large amount of something to have enough for future use

So WITH is just building up a supply and ON is about buying for the future...

Personally, I would just stick with stock up on.