Saturday, September 3, 2011

I got hitched~!

Sorry everyone, I got married last month so didn't really have time to post any lessons but I want to try and make it up to you guys by posting 7-8 times this month~! To start I will cover a bunch of expressions that mean "to get married".

A: Hey, I heard you tied the knot last month!

B: Yup, it's true. I got hitched to my longtime girlfriend Anastasia.

A: So was it a shotgun wedding?

B: What?! No way!

A: Ha ha, gotcha! (got you)

B: Ha ha ha, very funny (said sarcastically). But seriously, we want to have kids in a few years.

A: Well good luck with the old ball and chain.

B: Ha ha, you're a real comedian today aren't you? (more sarcasm)

A: I do try to be funny.

B: You're not succeeding.

A: Ok, I get it. Anyways, congratulations. I hope you and Anastasia are really happy together.

B: Thanks.

A shotgun wedding in Japanese is dekichatta kekkon, 出来ちゃった結婚 . Meaning, you are getting married because you got the woman pregnant. It comes from the fact that farmers used to chase down boys who got their daughters pregnant with a shotgun and force the boys to marry their daughters!!

Got you (gotcha) means I tricked you or you fell for my joke.

The old ball and chain is an expression men use to describe their wives--it isn't very polite so men usually use it when their wives are NOT around. It comes from the fact that prisoners in jail used to wear a chain attached to a heavy metal ball that stopped them from running away!

More lessons soon, have a nice weekend!

Phil

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Have been reading your blogs for months, you did a great job and all posts are quite informative and practical, not only for Japanese/Korean people learning English, but for non-native English speakers in the States. Thank you and please go on.

Phil said...

Thanks!