Sunday, October 16, 2011

I insist.

Do you know the meaning of the above sentence? It means to not take no for an answer! When someone insists it means they push until you accept. It is a fairly polite word. If you insist you are demanding something persistently, you won't give up until it happens.

My boss insisted I work overtime...

I insist we investigate the accident.

The most often usage is when giving something:

Harry: This is for you!

Jill: A Rolex? That's too much, I can't accept such an extravagant gift.

Harry: I insist, please accept it. I think it would suit you perfectly.

Jill: Well, if you insist. Thanks for the wonderful gift.

Harry: It's nothing. I am glad you like it.

---------------

Philip: I'll pick up the check. It's my treat.

Bill: Are you sure?

Philip: Of course, I insist.

Bill: Thanks!

Have a nice week,

Phil


No comments: