Thursday, October 13, 2011

It doesn't matter...

Hey everyone, here's a lesson that matters! We will talk about the noun matter and the verb to matter. The noun means:

- a thing that exists

Reading matter (a thing you read)

Liquid matter (a thing that is a liquid)

organic matter ( a thing that is organic)

I have an important matter to attend to. (I have something important to do)

- a trouble or difficulty, something that is bothering you

-related to or a concern of

It's a private matter. (a private issue)

That's a foreign policy matter. (related to foreign policy)

As you can see the noun matter is a formal and pretty high level word.

The verb to matter means to be important.

Nothing matters! (nothing is important)

A: Ooops! I broke a glass.

B: Oh, that's ok. It doesn't matter I got it for 50 yen.
(Don't worry, it's not important)

He matters to me. (He's important to me)

Any questions?

Phil

No comments: