Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I can't stand him!!!

Do you understand the title? Here's a quick lesson to explain it.

can't stand (something/someone)

This means HATE. It means you dislike something so much that you can't stand there, you just want to leave the room.

I can't stand my new boss he's a total jerk!

I can't stand it when people lie.

You know she can't stand pickles, so make sure you order her burger without them.

You might also hear a small variation which is a bit stronger.

can't stand the sight of X

This means you HATE SEEING something. So it is often used for emphasis to make a statement stronger.

He couldn't be a doctor because he can't stand the sight of blood.

After we got divorced, I couldn't stand the sight of her.

Any questions? Have a nice sunny Thursday!

Phil


No comments: