Saturday, November 12, 2011

I tripped vs I took a trip

The other day one of my students mixed up these two expressions. Do you know the difference between them?

From an earlier lesson:

to trip = this is when you are walking and you catch your foot on something which makes you fall or almost fall down. The key thing when using this word is that you hit your foot on something...

You can see the rest of it here.

So if you use trip as a VERB you are talking about FALLING DOWN. But if you use it as a NOUN you are talking about GOING SOMEWHERE.

A: I took a trip to Seoul last month.

B: Oh really? How was it?

A: It was great! I ate great food, saw some cool sites and did some shopping.

---------------------

Jim: Ouch! What the...? Who left this in the middle of the hallway?

Jim's son: Sorry Dad, are you ok?

Jim: I almost tripped! Be careful!

Have a nice weekend!

Phil

No comments: