Saturday, October 20, 2012

That's a low blow!

Hey guys, do you know the meaning of that expression? It comes from boxing, when you box you aren't allowed to hit "below the belt" any punch that goes below your waist is a low blow. It is considered mean and unsportsmanlike.

According to thefreedictionary it means:

  • 1. Sports An illegal blow in boxing that lands below the opponent's waist.
  • 2. An unscrupulous attack; an insult.

The idiomatic meaning is #2, it means someone says something VERY mean to hurt your feelings.

Harry: You're a real jerk Tom.

Tom: Screw you Harry!

Harry: Now I know why Sara dumped you! You're such a loser.

Tom: !!! (starts crying and runs off)

Bill: Harry that was a low blow! You made him cry!!! I know you guys are fighting but Sara was his girlfriend since high school. He really loved her and is still depressed about it.

Harry: ...I guess I was in the heat of the moment, I'll apologize... when he started crying and ran off I knew I went too far...

In the heat of the moment means that you were so excited/angry/etc that you said (or did) something without thinking.

So even if you get angry remember to think before you say anything too mean. If someone says "low blow" or "That was a low blow" you look really mean to them!

Have a nice weekend,

Phil







No comments: