Friday, January 25, 2013

Do you have a phone? vs. Do you have your phone?

Hey everyone, so today I was out with my wife and she asked me:

Do you have a phone?

What she meant to say was:

Do you have your phone?

Let's take a quick look at the difference between the two.

Do you have A phone?

Means simply if somewhere in the world there is a phone that belongs to you. In Japanese it would be something like:

携帯電話を持っていますか?

Whereas "Do you have your phone?" means "Did you bring your phone with you?". In Japanese it might be something like:

携帯電話を持ってきますか?

This just goes to show that using A can truly change the meaning of a sentence!

I ate some watermelon.

Meaning I ate a few pieces of watermelon.

I ate A watermelon.

Means that you ate a WHOLE watermelon by yourself!

Have a nice weekend,

Phil

No comments: