Sunday, January 27, 2013

Make up your mind~!

Today I am going to talk about a really common basic idiom that I am a little surprised I haven't already covered. 

make up my/your mind

This simply means to decide, to choose something.

Al: Where do you want to eat?

Beb: I dunno, how about you?

Al: Anywhere is ok, how about Italian food?

Beb: No, I had Italian last night.

Al: Ok, where?

Beb: Thai? No, Chinese... no, no, I got it Morrocan... no.. how about...

Al: Hurry up and make up your mind, it's freezing outside and I'm hungry!

Beb: Ok, ok. Morrocan it is.

So in this case it is used to tell someone to pick a place to eat.

Helen: Have you decided where to go to college?

Glenn: I can't make up my mind. It's either Harvard or Oxford.

Here someone is using it to say they can't choose between 2 different schools.

Any questions?

Phil


No comments: